We all hate paying taxes, but like death taxes too are unavoidable! You may not know this but not very long ago (FY 1991-92) the minimum tax rate in India was 20% and the maximum 56%. So if you were in highest tax slab, you would more than half of your income to government, giving great incentive for not complying with tax laws and not to earn more!
Thankfully taxes have been bit rationalized, Now the high earners only need to pay one-third of their income as taxes (still high but seems low when compared historically)!
Below is the table showing the following since FY 1990-91:
- Minimum Income for Tax
- Lowest Tax Rate
- Income at Which Highest Tax Rate Starts
- Highest Tax Rate
- Highest Tax Rate Including Surcharge
- Highest Tax Rate Including Surcharge has come down from 56% in FY 1990-91 to 30.9% since 2010-11 and has again gone up from 2013-14 (for income above Rs 1 Crore)
- The exemption limit for Income Tax has also increased more than 10 times from Rs. 22,00 in 1990-91 to Rs. 2.5 Lakhs in 2014-15
- Even the lowest tax rate has gone down from 20% to 10%
I hope this might have given you a feel good factor after Budget 2014!
How is India placed to other countries in Income Tax Slabs?
Below is a info-graphic from Hindustan Times showing highest Income tax slabs in developed countries like – US, UK, Netherlands, Japan, France, South Korea etc. The income tax rates in developed countries are higher than in India but it is compensated by the facilities and benefits that are given by government to their citizens. The facilities include social security for elder to free education for children, free medical facilities and much better infrastructure.
- Sukanya Samriddhi interest raised to 9.2% while PPF remains at 8.7% for FY 2015-16 - April 1, 2015
- PPF Calculator for Maturity, Loan and Partial Withdrawal - March 27, 2015
- 10.8% Muthoot Finance NCD – March/April 2015 – Should you Invest? - March 25, 2015
- Banking to get more Expensive from April 1, 2015 - March 24, 2015
- Does Your Life Insurance Offers Tax Benefit? - March 18, 2015
- 5 Things to Do Before March End - March 17, 2015
- Should you Invest Rs 50,000 in NPS to Save Tax u/s 80CCD (1B)? - March 16, 2015
- 19 Ways Budget 2015 Impacts our Spending, Saving, Investment and Taxation - March 14, 2015
- Budget 2015: TDS on Fixed Deposit, Recurring Deposit and EPF - March 13, 2015
- 9 Changes in Income Tax Exemptions and Rules in Budget 2015 - March 2, 2015