I am sure majority of readers of this blog would have PAN Number (Permanent Account Number) issued by the Income Tax Department. But do you know what does the digits in PAN Number mean?
Below is a sample of PAN Number.
It is a 10 digit alpha numeric number, where first five characters are letters, the next four numbers and the last one a letter again.
These 10 characters can be divided in five parts as can be seen below. The meaning of each number has been explained further.
PAN Number Explained:
1. First three characters are alphabetic series running from AAA to ZZZ
2. Fourth character of PAN represents the status of the PAN holder.
- C — Company
- P — Person
- H — HUF(Hindu Undivided Family)
- F — Firm
- A — Association of Persons (AOP)
- T — AOP (Trust)
- B — Body of Individuals (BOI)
- L — Local Authority
- J — Artificial Juridical Person
- G — Government
3. Fifth character represents first character of the PAN holder’s last name/surname.
4. Next four characters are sequential number running from 0001 to 9999.
5. Last character in the PAN is an alphabetic check digit.
Nowadays, the DOI (Date of Issue) of PAN card is mentioned at the right (vertical) hand side of the photo on the PAN card.
- 8 Changes in Income Tax Exemptions and Rules in Budget 2015 - March 2, 2015
- Income Tax Calculator for FY 2015-16 [AY 2016-17] – Excel Download - February 28, 2015
- 11 Tax Free Components You Must have in Salary - February 26, 2015
- 19 Company Fixed Deposit (FD) Schemes to Choose From - February 18, 2015
- 22 Hidden Charges in Saving Bank Account - February 11, 2015
- Highest Tax Saving Bank Fixed Deposit Rates U/S 80C - February 4, 2015
- 9 Must Knows About Sukanya Samriddhi Account - February 3, 2015
- 9.5% IFCI NCD – Jan/Feb 2015 – Should you Invest? - January 30, 2015
- Life Insurance Death Claim Settlement Ratio for FY 2013-14 - January 29, 2015
- 4 Personal Finance Changes in Week of January 12 – 25, 2015 - January 27, 2015