One of my friends called me in a worrying voice telling me he had received an email from Income tax department with subject “Intimation U/S 143(1) for PAN ABCxxxxx4A AY:2012-13”. As with most of us, any communication from taxmen makes us worried and it was not much different for my friend.
Are you in the same boat and have you also received similar email from [email protected] with similar subject? And are you worried about what it means for you?
Well worry not! Intimation U/S 143(1) is sent by Income Tax department in response to the Tax returned filed by you. As the subject suggests “Intimation” – the communication intimates the tax payer about, any tax and interest payable or if you are eligible for refunds.
What you need to do is open the attached zip file. The zip file contains a PDF file which is password protected. To open this PDF following is your password.
The password is your PAN Number in lower case followed by your date of birth in DDMMYYYY format. So if your PAN Card Number is ABCDE1234A and date of birth is January 1, 1985, then your password would be abcde1234a01011985. The date of birth should be one which is mentioned on your PAN Card.
Just scroll down and at the end of all calculations you would see two headings.
- Net Amount Refundable
- Net Amount Payable
In case there is ‘0’ in front of both as in the picture above, it means that your tax return filing was perfect – you neither need to pay any more tax for the year nor you would get any tax refunds.
In case some amount is mentioned for “Net Amount Refundable” then its good news and you would soon get that amount in your bank account. And if “Net Amount Payable” has some amount mentioned, then you need to pay that much tax to Income tax department.
In case you think there is some error in the calculation sheet, you should consult a qualified CA or good tax expert for further action.
- ITR Form 2A – The new IT Return Form for AY 2015-16 - June 25, 2015
- Home Loans: HFC vs Banks? Choose Wisely - April 24, 2015
- Changes in ITR Forms for AY 2015-16 - April 17, 2015
- What is the Maximum Income Tax You can Save for FY 2015-16? - April 16, 2015
- How good is Credit card against Fixed Deposit? - April 15, 2015
- Highest Interest Rate on Recurring Deposits (RD) - April 9, 2015
- Tax Planning Guide for FY 2015-16 - April 8, 2015
- Pepsi IPL 2015 Match Schedule - April 7, 2015
- 10.25% SREI Equipment Finance NCD – April 2015 – Should you Invest? - April 7, 2015
- Making Sense of Tax Benefit on Health Insurance u/s 80D - April 6, 2015